Tuesday, April 7, 2009

gross. i'm a grown up.

I was recently talking to my sister about how I’ve all but lost my taste for alcohol (seriously, since I quit drinking during the week, not only have I seen a dramatic decrease in the frequency of my headaches, it’s also caused a dramatic decrease in how many drinks it takes to inebriate myself), and I feel like it was not really that long ago when I was throwing back shots, sleeping in my bathtub (because of the aforementioned shots, duh), and working as a beertub girl on weekends for extra drinking money. (oh, wait, did I just make myself sound like a loser?) Fast forward a mere 5 years and here I am, almost 30 and in bed by 10:30 (11 o’clock, tops!) during the week, midnight on the weekends (unless I stay home, in which case my 10:30 bedtime usually still applies), cooking dinner almost every night and spending my Saturdays cleaning house. Five years ago I would have been getting ready to go OUT at 10:30…not preparing myself for bed. Of course, I guess it would be easier for me to still maintain that kind of lifestyle if one glass of wine didn’t make me feel like someone was trying to force my head apart at the middle, or if a martini or being in a smoky bar didn’t mean spending the whole next day vomiting. I should just accept the fact that I’m getting older, that I’m a grown up now and that it is not appropriate for me to ask for the newest cabbage patch kid (do they even make those anymore??) for my birthday. Instead I have to ask for practical things, like yoga dvds, a tripod for my camera, a new spring outfit for work. Although I am hoping the birthday fairy will bring me a new bike for my bday, since I am very eager to ride around dc once the weather returns to normal in another month or so…maybe I can get one with streamers on the handlebars and a basket for my dolls? Then again, they don’t make bikes like that in my size, just like those cool kids’ shoes that light up when you walk. I want some of those things! Or those wheelies that are like tennis shoes with the roller skate that pops out of the bottom. Why are these things just for kids? I bet cause someone old like me would bust their face and then sue the company, instead of falling down, skinning a knee, and sucking it up like you should – or, like a kid would. Anyway, here I am lamenting the fact that I am getting older and acting older, but then when I do find myself going out, I look around me at the idiot college kids who are only concerned with actually trying to drink their own faces off, and I think, damn, I wouldn’t be that age again for the world. So I guess I will take my early bedtime and my 1-3 drinks per week and my no longer smoking and staying home on a Friday night to watch movies on demand and order Chinese. Cause the older I seem to get, the more fun that stuff seems to get. Plus, it means way less headaches…and I can’t tell you how long it’s been since I woke up and wondered, “where the hell am i??” maybe growing up isn’t as gross as I thought...

No comments: