Thursday, April 15, 2010

on musical theatre

i think i might like musicals WAY too much. as a kid (and when i say that, i mean i was 15), my favorite album was a collection of songs from various andrew lloyd webber shows (let me tell you how much this upped my cool factor in high school). i skipped out on spring break my sophomore year of high school to be in my school's production of godspell (and did the same thing the next year to be in anything goes). i have seen cats no less than 9 times. as a treat for my birthday last week, i took my cousin to see the phantom of the opera - which i have seen at least 6 times (are you surprised?) and last night, niki took me to see fiddler on the roof, which i actually had NOT seen on the stage before. i'd seen the film version and (duh) knew all the songs, so i was REALLY excited to see it. we had amazing seats and the show was FANTASTIC. i had a smile on my face throughout the entire performance and i actually managed to resist singing along with the cast (believe me, it's REALLY HARD for me to do that - i almost bit my tongue off at phantom last week). i do not know why i am so enthralled with people on stage who sing to each other instead of talking, but oh man...i'm hooked. does all of this make me a huge nerd? probably. is it lame to love musical theatre the way i do? my sources say yes. do i care at all that most everyone thinks i am a weirdo who will not stop singing showtunes? not at all.

No comments: